Tuesday, January 22, 2008

35 Years: Roe v. Wade



One of the things that I really appreciate about living and working in the DC-area is the fact that there's so much stuff, of national relevance happening every day around me. All I have to do is step outside during lunch to go to an exciting talk at the Brookings Institution, or hop on the metro to catch the Hopper art exhibit or as it was today, go out during lunch to check out the Roe v. Wade demonstrations at the Supreme Court.

I arrived a little bit later after the initial rally and the march, but there were still plenty of people around. A band played some born-again rock, with the refrain of "God save the babies," repeatedly over and over again.

What struck me was the youth at the event. There were plenty of people in their high school age or young college age, and there were remarkably a large number of women. Now, this is the first anti-abortion rally I've ever attended, so I admit I don't know what to expect. But, the stereotype I had in my head was it would be a even split between men and women and older evangelical-type looking people. (Okay, I'm not sure what that means either, but you get the broad point I'm trying to make.)

It was a little bit eerie to see the usually open steps leading up to the doors of the Court to be interspersed with Supreme Court police officers standing and watching the scene below. It wasn't really a demonstration -- it was more of a rally. High school girls gathered behind their "Right to life" picket signs for pictures and people laughed and talked.

Democracy and First Amendment in action. Another Washington day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home